Sunday, December 26, 2010

vanilla salt truffles!

A few days ago, my mom and I took a truffle-making class at a local cooking school, which was absolutely fantastic! Both of us got to make our own batch of at least 30 truffles (perhaps 40?) from scratch. We started with a bowl of melted butter (I think half a stick? exact recipe will be put up later...), 64% dark chocolate discs, and about a tablespoon of dark cocoa powder. Next, the instructors gave us 1/3 cup of HOT cream to pour over our mixture, which we then mixed after waiting a few minutes to let our bowl's contents settle. I then added my vanilla (1 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp) to my mixture, an unusual yet surprisingly delicious combination. This was the formation of the ganache, the basis of these truffles. Next, I took the pastry-chef route and filled my pastry tube with the ganache in order to squeeze little swirls of chocolate onto my cookie sheet. This proved harder (but more fun) than anticipated...my mom went for the 'melon-baller' route and formed perfect vanilla-cinnamon half-spheres. Next, we refrigerated our truffles. After this, we were able to coat our truffles in either cocoa powder or melted chocolate (I went for the former, my mom went for the latter), and refrigerate them. And that was it! An AMAZING experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment